I am sure I am not the first person to make up a tamale pie recipe, and I have even seen similar recipes in books and supermarket lines, however this is the recipe my kids approve of 100%.
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef (chicken, venison, turkey may be substituted)
1 box jiffy corn muffin mix
1 can sweet corn
1 package McCormick Taco Seasoning - mild
1 8oz. package of Mexican shredded cheese
Directions:
Cook ground beef on stove until done and strain. Follow directions on taco season packet and add 3/4 cup of water to meat with seasoning. Drain corn and add to meat and let simmer about 10 minutes. Pour meat into square brownie pan.
Mix up cornbread in a bowl and follow the ingredients on the box. Sprinkle half the package of cheese on top of the meat/corn mix in pan, then pour the cornbread mix on top and spread to the edges. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the cornbread. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 min.
Top with sour cream if desire; serve with Spanish rice, black beans and chips and salsa.
I made this last night and my boyfriend and I loved it!! I had heard that a good substitution for the milk on the Jiffy cornbread recipe was creamed corn... the cornbread got a little dry as it cooled, so I don't know if I was supposed to use a whole can or if it wasn't a good substitution after all. But I doubt we'll mind trying it several times to get it just right! The cheese was awesome.
ReplyDelete