Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Vegan French Onion Soup & Review

This was the first recipe I tried during our Daniel Fast diet. I did not change the recipe, but my advise would be to use less wine than recommended, maybe an 1/8 cup instead of 1/4 cup and instead of using 4 onions, I think I would only use 2-3 because it was more like a bowl of onions than soup with 4 large onions like the recipe recommends. I have only had French Onion Soup with beef broth base, so the vegetable broth and wine made for a slightly different twang. It is quite good, but you have to be in the mood for onions. I suggest eating this with some whole wheat bread or crackers. Enjoy!

    4 large sweet onions (or just regular onions), sliced
    2 tablespoons margarine
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 tablespoon dried mustard
    2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1/4 cup red wine ( I used Cabernet)
    6 cups veggie stock (use a good one!)
    pepper, to taste

Directions:

1.  Heat margarine in large stockpot over medium heat.  Add onions, sugar, and salt.  Cook for 1 hour (yes, 1 hour!), stirring frequently.

2.  Add thyme, mustard, soy sauce, vegan wine, pepper, and a little more salt.  Let vegan wine cook down for a few minutes.

3.  Add veggie broth, bring just to a boil, and...its done! Serve with warm vegan french bread.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment